Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do you change the rear brakes on my car?

1998 Dodge Stratus es, v-6.

I was going to change my front brakes and was wondering if I need to change my rear brakes also? How do I do the rear brakes? How do I tighten up my emergency brake handle? when i pull the handle it pulls all the way up and doesn't seem to hold the brakes tight enough? Any help would be appreciated.How do you change the rear brakes on my car?Front brakes do tend to wear out faster than rear brakes, but the only way to tell for sure is to look at the thickness of the linings, and change them before they wear all the way through, or if they are starting to crack or crumble, or if they are contaminated by brake fluid from a leaky wheel cylinder. The actual procedures for changing brake pads/shoes and other parts, and adjusting your emergency brakes can be found here;

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/090How do you change the rear brakes on my car?i am not familar with the car therefore has it disc brakes on all wheels or discs front and drums at rear,,if drums at rear then more recently on later models(its all about protecting manufacturers advantage)they tend to put the adjusters up on top of the exhaust pipe,,,so you have to remove the exhaust before you can adjust the handbrake ,making sure you need to take it to a garage and they charge you accordingly,,,same reason the engine fills the engine compartment so you cannot maintain the car yourself,

drum brakes at rear usually if you can see or feel around the back of the wheel hub you will find (usually square)an adjuster(you have to buy the required adjuster spanner,,jack wheel up and turn by hand,turn adjuster with brake off until friction is felt ,,1 qtr turn back until wheel spins freely and then repeat at other side of the car ,,

a handbrake should usually be Fully on when from the off position it is fully On when pulled up on the ratchet you hear 8 or 9 clicksHow do you change the rear brakes on my car?seek expert help, don't mess with brakes if you 'haven't a clue', and by asking on here you 'haven't a clue'....

No comments:

Post a Comment