Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?

I just changed my front brake line and can't get my front brake to pressure up. How do you get the pressure up in a brake line on a harley 1200 xlc?I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?If the bike has a few miles/years on it,,,here's ONE condition which occurs...



Brake Master Cyl Piston NORMALLY runs at only a certain depth of stroke when ya squeeze brake.

It only goes in So far,then stops against the hydraulic pressure in the normally functioning brake system.



The Master Cyl Bore is LOTS deeper/longer than That,,and Piston Travel in an Open or Un-bled system is much longer.



Crap builds up during Normal Operation over time,,Just Beyond the End of Normal Master Cyl Piston Travel.



Imagine sweeping a very dusty floor,,but only Half Way across the Room.

Nice and Clean where you normally sweep,right?



Go BEYOND that,,,and you run right into all the accumulated mess.



Same Thing happens when Bleeding a System.

Youre Over-travelling far Beyond normal stroke,,,and into the mucky gunk.



That stuff has a variety of possible effects on Master Cylinder.

*Stop Up Bleed Back/Fluid Return Holes

*Stick Piston Seals and prevent Piston from Fully retracting in the bore

*Actually Scuff the piston seal,,damage it ,in some instances



One way oth the other,,,The Master Cyl is prevented from receiving Fluid Supply to displace the air in the line.

Intake is blocked,,,so it's NOT really pumping fluid when you squeeze the brake

.....................................



Check M/C for a %26quot;squirt back%26quot; in the Reservoir when you Release the Lever.



It should also produce a Small sqirt in the Reservoir when you begin to squeeze the lever.



Push/pry Caliper Piston /Pads back IN while watching Reservoir.

You should see Fluid Returning.



Normally just cleaning M/Cyl solves it.

At 3~4 yrs old???....It May require a freshening up with new piston seals.



I know it sounds stupid that ya can %26quot;destroy M/C%26quot; which has been perfectly fine,,,merely by bleeding brakes.



But the FIRST time Ya squeeze the brake lever to Bottom against an un-filled system to begin bleeding it,,,

You're jamming the piston into an area which hasnt been Touched in Months or even Years.

Usually a %26quot;garbage dump%26quot; just a few thousandths of an inch beyond Normal Travel,,,and very often Corroded,Rough,Gritty,,etc.



Happens Very,very often....notice how often you hear about Brake Bleeding Difficulties.



Front brakes in actual Good Condition,Clean Fluid,Good M/C Seals and Bore will %26quot;bleed itself%26quot; from mere gravity.



If it wont pump fluid to pressurize the line,,,

well,,the M/C is %26quot;the pump%26quot;.



And there ARE technical reasons/conditions they appear to suddenly,coincidentaly %26quot;go bad%26quot; for no apparent reason During Brake Bleeding Operations



Good Luck with it,,,it's a nuisance and can be Very frustrating.

but usually nothing serious.I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?Have you taken the air out of tube? Did you check the master cylinder?I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?You may have to bleed at the brake master first and then work your way down to the brake cylinder. Small cylinders can be a nuisance to bleed. If nothing works you may have to use air pressure to do it.I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?You have to bleed the air out of the system.I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?Leave the lid off the master cylinder and pump the lever until you get no air bubbles. then put the lid back on and go through the regular bleeding procedure.I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?Bill gave good advice, if that don't rectify your problem, your other option is back bleeding.



Take a one man bleeder kit and force the air through bleeder %26amp; out master.I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?Power/vacuum bleed the system.

Check out this link:



http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearc



Skip the first item, and use any of the next 6 items to either force the fluid (and, hence, the air trapped in system) through the system either through pressure or vacuum (whichever tool you chose to use).I can't seem to pressurize my front brake line on my harley 1200 xl?you'll need to bleed the front brake lines to remove all air from the system.. a simple process with 2 people, but can be tricky by yourself.. any air in the lines will compress when you apply the brakes. if there's any air (even a tiny amount) in the lines, your brakes will feel spongy and will be seriously unsafe. if you're unsure of how to bleed the brakes properly, get a pro to do it.
  • grey hair
  • Where I can find nice modern comforters
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment